Pregnancy is a period of carefulness. It involves forgoing those things you love for the sake of your health and that of your unborn baby. Some things might be compulsory to avoid, and others may be optional but important. For example, shampooing your hair may be optional but essential. Most women always ask if shampoos are recommended for pregnant women. In this post, we will share information on this.
Are shampoos good?
While not all women love shampooing their hair, it is good to look smart throughout your pregnancy. While washing your hair with shampoo is a way of maintaining it, shampoos have ingredients that might be unsafe for a growing infant. That is why it is essential for any expectant mother to inform herself of the safe ingredients in products such as conditioners and shampoos. You may also inquire from your doctor about the products that will not harm your child.
What ingredients should you avoid?
Very soon you will be someone’s mom. That is why you need to read the shampoos to see the ingredients they include if you want to keep yourself safe. Be aware of the ingredients to avoid even when you want to quickly finish doing your hair and get home to have a rest. Some of the elements include:
- Parabens: These components hinder the bacteria growth in products to enable them maintains a shelf-life.
- Vitamin A: Having products with too much of Vitamin A might result in cranial defects in developing fetuses, and it has been associated with congenital disabilities in animals’ studies.
Are there good ingredients?
After mentioning the above ingredients, you are obviously wondering if you should still shampoo your hair. Some of the good ingredients to look for in shampoos include the following:
- Shea butter: It prevents your hair from losing humidity and therefore preventing breakage.
- Coconut oil: This is an excellent ingredient to look for in a shampoo or conditioner. It helps to seal the moisture to the hair follicle.
- Aloe vera gel: It assists in reducing hair loss and can be combined with conditioners and shampoos.
- Jojoba oil: This natural humectant is comparable to hair’s natural oils
- Avocado oil: It has several vitamins including E, D, and potassium that are beneficial to the hair’s health.
Are shampoos recommended?
Sometimes you may not find the time to check the ingredients the shampoos contain before they are used on you. Therefore, you should talk to your doctor to find out about the recommended shampoos for pregnant women. Expectant women may use shampoos but not all. There are those that are suggested to them because the ingredients they contain will not pose a health risk to the child.
The question on whether shampoos are recommended for pregnant women should not be asked. It all depends on the ingredients in the shampoo used on you. There are so many dos and don’ts in pregnancy and being expected to follow them can be a headache. But you need to ask your doctor before doing anything. This will ensure your life, and that of the baby remains safe.